Teaching & Learning Companion
This Teaching/Learning Companion is intended to assist teachers designing instructional units using the Ontario Curriculum Unit Planner. It is part of the Planner’s Teacher Companions database that includes the following components:
- Teaching/Learning Strategies
- Assessment Companion
- ESL/ELD Companion
- Special Education Companion
- Explanatory Notes
The Teacher Companions database was compiled by Ontario educators and field-tested for use in Ontario schools. It is intended to help the collaborative and reflective practitioner plan, develop, implement, and evaluate curriculum units that:
- meet the needs of all students in the classroom;
- provide a balance in the range of learning experiences;
- recognize the interrelated phases in the learning process;
- create a consistent understanding to support effective teaching and learning;
- incorporate effective instructional strategies and assessment strategies;
- support the implementation of the Ontario curriculum.
While every effort has been made to provide appropriate information for educators, this database is not intended to be a definitive treatment of the topics it includes. Its contents should be read as suggestions, not prescriptions. To help educators who find themselves in a variety of circumstances, this database includes references to supports and applications that may not be available to all practitioners.
You can use these databases within the Curriculum Unit Planner in the following ways:
- Browse individual records by clicking on the Companion icon (i.e., the overlapping pages icon) found on most Planner screens.
- Click on the field and use the right scroll bar to see more text. Individual records are created using field boxes that may be larger than they first appear.
- Use the “Find” feature to search for key words/phrases according to specific criteria.
- Copy/Paste specific sections of a Companion record into the appropriate text box (e.g., “Teaching/Learning”), making any additional notes.
- Use the Bookmark feature to attach individual records as a resource for your unit.
- Attach teaching/learning strategies, assessment strategies, recording devices, and bookmarked resources by clicking on the “+” in relevant fields in the subtasks.
- Since these databases are fixed records and cannot be altered except by copying and pasting their text into another area (e.g., Scrapbook, Teaching/Learning text box, Subtask Notes), create blackline masters of additional strategies and attach them as
- resources in specific and subsequent units;
- Print a whole Companion or individual record using the Print icon;
- Visit the Planner website at www.ocup.org to download new versions of these databases.