Consider All Factor (CAF)
When you have to choose or make a decision or just think about something, there are always many factors that you have to consider. If you leave out some of these factors, your choice may seem right at the time but will later turn out to be wrong. When you are looking at other people’s thinking, you can try and see what factors they have left out.
- Some years ago in a big city there was a law that all new buildings had to have large parking lots in the basement so that people working in the building would have somewhere to park. After a while this law was changed because it was found to be a mistake.
- They had forgotten to consider the factor that providing parking lots would encourage everyone to drive in to work in their cars and so the traffic congestion on the road was worse than ever.
- A husband and wife go to buy a used car for their family. They consider all the following factors:
- That the person selling it actually owns it.
- The price of the car.
- The type of car and the colour.
- The engine power and the speed of the car.
- That all the mechanical parts are working perfectly.
- that it is big enough for the family.
- Do a full CAF on the factors involved in choosing a career.
- An inventor has invented a breakfast pill which is very tiny but contains all the food and vitamins you need. After you have eaten the pill you do not feel hungry for five hours. Should this pill be allowed? What are the factors involved?
- What are the factors involved in choosing your hairstyle?
- If you were interviewing someone to be a teacher, what factors would you consider?
- The textile workers in a country demand protection from foreign imports which are coming into the country at a lower price and taking over the market. What factors should a government consider in this matter?
- There is a plan to turn a golf course on the edge of a growing town into a new shopping centre. This is backed by business and the consumers but opposed by the environmentalists. What factors should be considered in the final decision?